The double Windsor knot, named after the Duke of Windsor, is one of the most popular tie knots, and it is also the type of knot that is most commonly tied the wrong way. If you like the symmetric look, as well as a larger tie knot, then the Double Windsor will the right knot for you. It is a perfect knot for wide-spread collar dress shirts.
1. Start with the wide end of the tie on your right.
Extend it about 12" below the narrow end.
2. Cross the wide end over the narrow,
and bring it up through the loop.
3. Bring the wide end down, around behind the narrow,
and up on your right.
4. Put this end down through the loop and across the narrow.
5. Turn the wide end, and pass it through the loop.
6. Slip the wide end through the knot in the front.
Tighten and draw up to the collar.
While just about everyone can use this tie knot to tie his tie, it looks especially well on men with longer necks as its wide form shortens the perceived height of the neck a little bit.